What is Computer Science?
Computer Science brings Computers to life.
Without this field of study, computers themselves are rather bland little processors that follow simple instructions and accurately solve math algorithms really, really, quickly. Computer Science is both the science and art of creating and streamlining programs for these zippy little processors – programs that can do amazing things for humanity. Computer science is also about problem solving; by studying and developing computer software, we explore and analyze techniques for solving problems and expanding human capabilities.
|HPU's student team after winning the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest (ICPC) for the second year in a row. (Full story)|
What can I do with Computer Science?
You can change the world! Ever heard of the Internet? Cell phones? Facebook?
You can make life more efficient by creating innovative new apps and tools for mapping and directional guidance, video chatting, emailing, or even the next personal assistants (like Siri and Cortana)! You can bring artists and audiences together – writers, musicians, and designers no longer need publishers, record labels, and galleries, thanks to the computer scientists who have devised clever new ways to bring their creations directly to the public via mp3s, Spotify, and Pinterest. You can help people reach out to both close friends and the whole world by making the next StumbleUpon, Voxer, or maybe even a crowdsourcing platform like Kickstarter. And for the science geeks among us, you can work on refining programs to better predict the weather or directing a rover to explore Mars. The only limit to this new technology is our collective imagination.
One of our students writes this: "With Computer Science, I know I can develop a foundation for anything related to technology, and with that, it will further allow me to aid in societal development as we grow toward a reliance on technology in our everyday lives. I can create applications to assist citizens in our everyday tasks. I can ensure the security of our network users as we browse the World Wide Web on a daily basis. I can save the world."
And hopefully this goes without saying, but computer science isn't just for guys. As you might expect, some of the best computer scientists in the world are women.
Why study Computer Science at HPU?
- We offer smaller class sizes where you receive attention from actual professors, not just Teaching Assistants.
- Our faculty are passionate instructors with real, relevant experience in the high-tech world.
- Directed studies can provide you with an even closer student-faculty investigation of advanced topics tailored to your interests.
- The Computer Club provides a fun social element to connect with your like-minded computer science classmates.
- HPU has won the Hawaii site ACM International Collegiate Programming team competition four times in the last nine years, and placed well in the regional division, too.
- The relaxed urban Honolulu business district has internship and career opportunities waiting for you in close proximity to our downtown campus.
- When you need to take a short break from your academics, the tropical Hawaiian atmosphere and local culture is always ready for you to explore.
- We’ll expose you to a system of education that puts an emphasis on the multi-faceted ability to solve problems, no matter what form they may take.