Admission to the MA-CHMC program is based on academic ability and potential for success at the graduate level. Academic ability is evaluated by the applicant’s past academic performance, recommendations, and performance on the GRE. Students are admitted in fall semester only, and there is an admission cap of 15 students per year.
1. A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States or an equivalent degree from another country;
2. A minimum 3.0 cumulative undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) based on a 4.0 scale.
3. A strong background in psychology to include, at the minimum, at least one course in statistics and one course in research methods.
4. Verbal and Quantitative Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
5. Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in written and verbal English. A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination is required of all foreign applicants from countries in which English is not the native language and who have not attended an American college or university for two consecutive years.
6. Two letters of recommendation (all references should be from professors, employers or clinical supervisors).
7. A 500-word, typed personal statement of professional goals which addresses why the applicant wishes to pursue a mental health counseling graduate degree, and a description of the applicant’s personal and professional goals.
8. A professional résumé or Curriculum Vitae.
Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Eligible applications are reviewed by the CMHC Admissions Committee which uses multiple criteria for the assessment of applicants. Admission is selective.
Applicants wishing to apply to the CMHC Master’s Degree Program will need to complete the initial application process with the HPU’s Graduate Admissions. This includes completing an application form, paying an application fee, having all prior college transcripts forwarded to Hawaii Pacific University, and submitting the 2 letters of recommendation.
Following the department’s review of applications by the selection committee, selected applicants will be contacted for a formal (in-person or telephone) interview with members of the selection committee. Applicants will receive notification of their acceptance status soon after a decision is made.The priority deadline for Fall 2013 applications is February 15th, 2013. Applications received after that date will be considered on a space-available basis.
Students may apply to the CMHC Master’s Degree Program online: Apply Now