Dr. Patrice Wilson
- PhD English: University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, December 2005
- MA English: University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, December 1992
- BA English: University of Maryland at College Park, May 1976
- Also studied at Yale University, New Haven, CT 1970-1972
Courses Frequently Taught:
WRI 1200 Research, Argument and Writing
ENG 2000 Introduction to Literature
ENG 2101 Representations of Pacific Life
ENG 4320 Seminar in Post-colonial Literature
WRI 3390 Childhood and Poetry Seminar
“Potiki’s Diminished Violence,” in MANA, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji, summer 1998.
“Custom, Ritual and Hybridity in Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart and Arrow of God,” in VOICES, The Wisconsin Review of African Literature, Spring 2000.
“Re-envisioning Argument: Writing with Alternative Approaches to Power,” in the proceedings of the Third Annual College Wide Conference for Graduate Students in Language, Literature and Linguistics, 2002.
“The Postcolonial Hybrid Space as Nowhere, The Postcolonial Hybrid and Nobody in Michelle Cliff’s No Telephone to Heaven,” in the proceedings of the Fourth Annual College-wide Conference for Graduate Students in Languages, Literature and Linguistics. 2003.
“Land and Relationships in Oceanic Literature.” Oceanic Popular Culture Association, Chaminade University, May 24, 2008.
“ Pacific Ways of Knowing: Spirituality and the Body/Mind Question in Oceanic Epistemology and Literature.” Hawai‘i International Conference on Arts and Humanities. Hilton Hawaiian Village, Honolulu, HI. January 10, 2011.
Chapbooks of Poetry:
When All Else Falters, Finishing Line Press (Kentucky), December 2003.
On Neither Side, Finishing Line Press (Kentucky), July 2009.
A Different Current, Finishing Line Press (Kentucky), May 2011
“New Jersey Women: A Tribute,” Journal of NJ Poets, 2008.“Poem for March 16,” Barbaric Yawp, July 2008.“Eve” and “Full of Stars,” Transcendent Visions, 2009.“Between the Silence,” Poiesis #3, 2009.
“Images in the Dark,” Poiesis #4, 2010.“Grandfather’s Handkerchief,” Common Ground Review, Vo. 12, issue 2, 2010“Cindy’s Bones,” Bloodroot Literary Magazine, 2010.“Boneclock,” Eclipse, 2011
“Images in the Dark,” Rhysling Anthology, as nomination for the Science Fiction Poetry Association Best (published) Short Poem 2010, 2011.“Luck,” Poetry Superhighway, August 2011
“Translation of a Nonsense Rhyme,” “Lovers in a Storm,” and “Time to Go Home,” Eunoia, December 2011. “Having Your Cake?” Yes, Poetry, December 2011“Heroes,” Snail Mail Review, December 2011
“The Woman in the World,” Nightblade, March 2012
Current Committee and Administrative work:
- CHSS Faculty Promotion and Review Committee; English Department Search/Hiring Committee
- English Department Events Committee
- Sponsor of Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society
- Editor of Hawai‘i Pacific Review (HPU’s literary magazine)
- Coordinator of HPU’s James Vaughan Award for Poetry (Judge every other year)
- Coordinator of HPU’s Ko‘olau Writing Workshops (outreach to ‘Oahu writing community)
Awards and Honors:
- Fifth Honorable Mention in Finishing Line Press’s New Women’s Voices Poetry Chapbook Contest, 2003
- Runner up in Dead Metaphor Press Chapbook Contest, 2001
- First runner up in Redgreene Press’s Poetry Chapbook Contest (combined 2000 and 2001 contest), Sept. 2001
- Honorable Mention in Academy of American Poets University of Hawai‘i Competition, 1991 and 1992
- University of Hawai‘i Myrle Clark Poetry Competition, Third Prize, 1992.
Current Research or Work in Progress:Pacific Ways of Knowing in Pacific Literature: Currently updating research on dissertation (“Oceanic Epistemology and Representations of Oceanic Epistemology in Oceanic Literature”) for a book manuscript for Teneo/Cambria press, at their suggestion, to be submitted in or around October 2012.