Program Rationale and Objectives
English, a language of global culture, commerce, and international relations, is the focus of the HPU English major. An important literary language of India, Africa, and the Caribbean as well as Great Britain and North America, English is also the adopted tongue of many writers across the globe and a language into which texts from many other literatures are translated. English majors study the language by tracing its historical development in the literature of various cultures and encountering texts in diverse historical, cultural, theoretical, and practical contexts. Throughout their course of study, students practice critical, analytical, and creative writing as preparation for a variety of careers and graduate programs.
Program Objectives for English
- Students will develop transferable analytical skills such as the ability to summarize, interpret, and evaluate complex texts
- Students will develop transferable communication skills such as writing clearly and persuasively, revising and editing their own and others’ writing, and making effective oral presentations.
- Students will employ appropriate research methods to locate and evaluate information and will effectively present their own arguments with support from primary and secondary texts.
- Students will recognize and analyze various textual forms and strategies in academic and creative genres.
- Students will practice various textual strategies in academic and creative genres.
- Students will examine the ways in which texts shape and/or are shaped by history, culture, and context.
- Students will experience and analyze diverse texts from various cultures.
- Students will articulate or identify important theoretical concepts and approaches and apply them in interpreting or analyzing texts.
English Department Contact Information
Department Chair for English: Dr. Laurie F. Leach
Office: LB 7C
Mailing Address: Dr. Laurie F Leach, 1060 Bishop Street, Honolulu, HI 96813
Course Coordinator for First-Year Writing: Dr. Kathy Cassity
Office: LB MEZZ 4