The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS, pronounced like “chess”) is one of four colleges within HPU that deliver classes and academic programs. This page gives you a general orientation to the college along with links to more specific information. Feel free to email the college if don’t find the information you’re looking for.
CHSS is made up for seven departments and one school, each responsible for a group of related academic programs. You can go a department’s page by clicking on its name in the list below or to the right , or you can go directly to the page for a specific academic program by clicking on its name.
- Arts and Humanities—BA in Humanities, BA in Asian Studies; classes in art, theater, instrumental music, and vocal music.
- Communication—BA in Communication, BA in Journalism, BA in Multimedia, BA in Advertising-Public Relations; MA in Communication.
- Education—BEd in Elementary Eductation, MEd in Elementary Education, MEd in Secondary Education
- English—BA in English
- History—BA in History, BS in Diplomacy and Military Studies; MA in Diplomacy and Military Studies.
- Languages and Applied Linguistics—BA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages; MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages; classes in Arabic, Chinese, French, Hawaiian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish.
- Psychology—BA in Psychology; MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Social Sciences—BA in Anthropology, BA in International Studies, BA in Justice Administration, BA in Political Science, BA in Sociology; minor in Geography; MA in Global Leadership and Sustainable Development.
CHSS is home base for over 100 faculty members. Each of them is devoted to HPU’s mission of creating “an international learning community” that prepares “our graduates to live, work, and learn as active members of a global society.” In addition to their commitment to quality interaction with students both in and out of the classroom, many are actively involved in academic research. You can learn more about these faculty members, their interests, and their accomplishments on the department and program pages.
Students in CHSS academic programs participate in a wide range of activities outside the classroom, ranging all the way from musical ensembles to clubs. The “Clubs/Activities” links above will take you to a list of all these clubs with links to their own webpages so you can get a feel for all that is available for you in CHSS.
CHSS faculty and students are also active in the community. Many academic programs have internship opportunities—both paid and unpaid—for academic credit. Most programs have community advisory councils that help to shape responsive curricula and connect students, faculty, and administrators to the world outside the classroom. And every program has alumni putting what they have learned to work in the world. Find out more on the pages for departments and programs.